Thursday, April 21, 2005

FOOD!!!

Hey all!

I think I am beginning to LUURVE my own cooking...which is a miracle, because I used to hate it. Now that I am in a foreign land, with new food and new flavourings, I am just experimenting with different dishes everyday. I just had an Eintopf (one pot) yesterday, with potatoes, carrots, Weisswurst and egg...and it tasted great=) Without any other flavouring but salt.

Oh yes, and now I understand why there was an entire historical hoo-ha about the Salt trade...and why Mahatma Gandhi started the salt march and all, because it is REALLY very important for flavour! It is hard to describe how HARD I searched for salt in the first few days...it is now so 'common' a commodity that the supermarkets do not have signs for it! How ironic. Therefore I searched 3 days for salt, before finding it just at the entrance of the supermarket, hidden beneath some conserves. And what a moment of triumph it was...Ting finds SALT!!

The next thing I will be investing in is a bottle of ketchup. Did I say that Germany is a Land of Opposites? Here is more evidence that it is immer noch so ein Land: The cheapest fruits here are..guess? Strawberries. These go for about 49 cents euro per punnet, while the most expensive are...Apples! My favourite fruits are so expensive=(, so I just have to make do with strawberries for now. Next cheapest are tomatoes, thus I am just eating tomatoes everyday. Potatoes are terribly cheap over here, that's why I want ketchup. Or pepper. But I must save up for that first...better finish the food in my fridge first! =) It is terribly difficult to shop and cook for one person alone. One must have many similar meals, (e.g now I have brocolli, carrots and tomatoes everyday) before one can buy other things for the fridge.

I am sounding more and more like an Ah Soh..haha, but I like cooking=) haha, my mom would be really proud of me, if she reads this, that is...

Ok, better get back to work, lazy bum=)

Oh, did I mention that the people here are really very nice? Will save that for the next entry. And that the woods here are wonderful places to get lost in? Will save that for later too, haha=)

love ya all, tings

No comments: