Saturday, January 07, 2006

Random thoughts=)

According to my mom, I just turned 20 yesterday according to the chinese calendar. Eek. Why deprive me of my last few days of being a teenager? =D But truly i miss the mian4 xian4 and the egg in it that mom usually cooks for the birthday boy/girl. I guess I could cook it myself, but it is different, cuz the dish would have been like a present from mom to me.

The Austrian trip reminded me of how lucky i am to have friends at your side. They really make up for my lack of good short-term memory=D But their companionship, just being there for you to share your comments with, to have fun with, to laugh with...is simply precious.

I just fixed a new TV in my room=) Got the TV from Marianne, Angelika's sister, and lugged it home from Nürnberg. Sometimes I really wonder what it is that I have done to deserve such friends. So now I feel as though I have transversed 50 years...from the era of receiving news from the papers and the radio to that of cable TV. Hmm...the joys of living in a small village. When i first switched on the TV, it only showed ONE channel, from Austria. (!!) After pressing some random buttons I realised that I could set channels (Eureka!) For a moment I felt like my dad, the handyman at home. =D

I still haven't truly begun on my work despite having been home for the last two days. Terrible huh.

Am currently reading this book called "The Road Less Travelled" by M Scott Peck. He is good. Would like to quote something from his book: "Courage is not the absence of fear; it is the making of action in spite of fear, the moving out against the resistance engendered by fear into the unknown and into the future." Thus love is about courage too, for any attempt to love includes the risk of being rejected, let down, or abandoned. If one is determined not to risk pain, then he must also do without many things...all that make life alive, meaningful, significant.

"A full life will be full of pain."

He also said sth that makes some sense. The constant reminder of death guides us to make the best use of our time and live life to the fullest. "When we shy away from death, the ever-changing nature of things, we inevitably shy away from life."

=D Just some reflections in the spirit of the new year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey gal its me yuhan.. haha just sent an email to sam and i told her bout our wantan haha... truely memorable! u take care ok? thanks for coming to bahnhof that day. it touched me a lot that you bothered and that although it was out of the way for you, you rushed. :) thanks for ur sweet card as well! loved it!