Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The rest of my hols...

This is definitely one of the evils of procrastination...I now have too much to write about, and not much time nor space to do that. Let's see if my summarising skills are as good as before=D

Visit to Sara's

Grimma is a very pretty little town on the outskirts of Leipzig. This is where Sara lives...it is quite amazing. Her dad is a pastor who has to take care of the Landkreis or a few churches in that area. Almost like a mayor, just in the pastor-sense. I like her family, even if I didn't speak much at times, I just like to take in the entire family atmosphere=) Sara has two younger sisters, both very pretty, named Leonore and Tabea (Light of something and something to do with a lion.) Her mom is a housewife, an awfully talented one. She is v v creative, and does everything right. Imagine self-sewn wrist guards and egg warmers. She even makes her own velvet. *wow*

On the first or second day that I was there, the mom made a dessert, self-invented. It is just quark with pineapple syrup, mixed with starch, sprinkled with kiwis and sesame seeds. It tasted great with the kiwi and sesame, but it is not what you can have an entire bowlful of, cuz there was too much starch in it. You could almost feel the tense atmosphere in the family, as the mom asked me how it was. I didn't know how to describe it, so i just said, "Erm, interesting." They burst out in laughter, and from then on, anything that was awkward to describe was 'Interessant'. =D

I was at Weimar for a day, it is all about Goethe, Schiller, Goethe's many women friends and his mistress-turned-wife, Christina someone I think. Apparently dear Goethe transplanted a Gingko tree from one of his visits in the orient (?) to Weimar, so there is currently this über old Gingko tree in Weimar. The Gingko leaf has thus become the symbol of Weimar too. It was unfortunately very very chilly on that day when I was there. So that day was one of more shivers than anything else.

I was at Dresden as well, and met up with Sam and Claudia. It was great, I love Dresden! It used to be the capital city (and still is) of Saxony, so all the treasures that the dukes and archdukes received were stored in the Green Vault (Grünes Gewölbe). It is quite impressive, the variety and preciousness of all those treasures.

Leipzig was our next stop, where Sara and I visited. Bach was the big thing there. The Bach museum was so full of notes from jap tourists (many newly-wedded couples go there for their honeymoons), and gave us such a great overview of Bach's works, that the both of us nearly resolved to get all of Bach's collections, only to find out that that would be near impossible. We visited the Stasi Musuem in "der Runden Ecke" as well, where they showed us the bunks in which political prisoners used to be kept, as well as the entire inner conflict in the pple and society...especially within the hearts of those who had been working in Stasi. Frankly speaking, they couldn't help it that they were in such an organisation, and that was the power of the state then. If I were in their place, would I have the courage to say that, hey, I don't want anything to do with this org, and refuse to cooperate, while risking the futures of my family and friends? It is easy to say yes now, but I don't know what would happen when the crunch comes. Wasn't it Charlotte Brönte who wrote in 'Jane Eyre', "Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation...if at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?" She must had been a v strong woman.

We went to the zoo together too, where there was this very interesting fish, I shall call it pinocchio. It was just wee..=) Let the photos say it then. Will load them the next time, have to go for dinner now=(

Right, the chronicles of travels in Cambridge and Oxford would have to wait till next time then! =p

ting =)

*zhen you satisfied?*

No comments: