Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Studying where others have their holiday...

That is the slogan of the Universität Konstanz. I thought that was kinda exaggerated the last time I came here. Now I see that it is true in many many ways.

The Bodensee (Lake Constance) is so large, that sometimes people do mistake it as the sea. When it is misty in the morning, you could hardly see the other shore, and this then gives the illusion of it being endless, just stretching into the distance. On a clear day, you can see the rolling hills on the other side, and the tiny cottages that spot that green landscape. For this view, I think I will be able to withstand the inconvenience of living in a small village =)

Let me describe my little village. It has a village centre, consisting of a bakery and a butcher's. It is soo small it did not warrant the construction of a church, nor a fountain, which are the typical things you would see in almost every single german village. One good thing about it being small: you just cannot get lost over here. Which is an infinitely good thing, when it comes to ting finding her way. There is also a small farm near my place, about 5 min away, which rears chickens. The chickens roam around the place like they own the road. This village is so full of fruit that pple throw away apples and pears by the binful.

I do not have internet access yet at my place, am using the uni's right now. And there seems to be soo many home improvement things that I absolutely have to do! One never realises the importance of a broom and mop, till one is in need.

Simone's parents showed me around Konstanz and the nearby island of Reichenau yesterday. Reichenau is a UNESCO protected island (largest island on the Bodensee) and it is famous for its vegetables. It was the first time that I have seen such huge pumpkins. They also have paprika (peppercorns?) and lots of garden salads and brocoli, cauliflowers, tomatoes, grapes, a kind of maize, but no animals, for obvious reasons.

I met up with Ayline later on in the day. It does feel good to talk in Singlish for a while =) Her place is beautifully done up, much more than mine, definitely. Darn, i should have learnt how to drive. Or get a bf who knows how to (just joking!)I need to get to Ikea to grab stuff. Television. Rugs. Cutlery. Lights. etc.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Hi Lee Ting! Great to read about Konstanz and your village! Hope you are doing fine! Maybe I'll go visit you an Ayline in Konstanz sometime in November or so. Say hi to Ayline for me!