Sunday, October 16, 2005

Settling in...

It has been two whole weeks since I have last seen this blog. Not due to laziness, but just due to the simple inaccessibility of the internet! It has been so infuriating...I know that Germans are known for their efficiency, but it is just my luck that I always seem to bump into the inefficient ones, especially for vital services like telecommunications. Argh.

When I first moved into my new apartment on 1.10, it looked so empty! I had expected it to be fully furnished, as my landlord kinda implied. Well, it was 'half' fully furnished, I guess I was one of the lucky ones to actually have a bed, a table, chairs...but there weren't a lot more things that are rather essential to modern living, like radio and tv, cutlery, adequate lights, etc. I guess I have been too 'spoilt' by my last landlady, who supplied me with a really fully furnished room, plus sofa, carpets, TV, etc. However, what I really am in need of is a washing machine. One never thinks twice about changing clothes with a washing machine. Now I have to do all my calculations, like how many clean shirts I would be left with, before changing...cuz handwashing everything is really a chore. (oops, now I do sound a little whiny=))

My landlord/lady were not that bad...they gave me a bookshelf for free and sold me a writing table for 25 euros, which is rather cheap=) Only thing is...I had to assemble them on my own, and what fun it was! I even have photographs of my possible occupation as a handywoman. =) Tada!



I have got to know a few friends, and strangely enough, most of those whom I know better seem to be from the Czech republic, Slovakia, and the Balkans. I am ashamed to say that my knowledge of these countries is pitifully little. We went to the Insel Mainau, the Island of flowers. It was really beautiful. The flowers were in full bloom, especially the Dahlien (Dahlias). They smelled like rubber though=p The roses were in bloom too, and they gave off a v sweet scent. The island of Mainau is still currently the residence of a Swedish count and his family. They even have a mulberry tree on the island, planted in late 1800s to provide food for the silkworms, as the count and his wife then were preparing for the wedding of their daughter to some nobility in Sweden too. The island seems to be able to combine its history and interesting botany together, wonderful.

Here are some pics:

Me and Zuzanna (from Slovakai)



The beautiful Dahlias



Cheers, ting=)

No comments: