Friday, November 04, 2005

Readings!!

We have a professor in our course for Methoden der empirischen Sozialforschung (d.translation methods of empirical social research), who is absolutely hilarious in his lectures. My other classmates don't find it so great though...let me give you an idea of things he said in class...(translation using 'agaration')

(at 8.00am)
"It is great to be young, isn't it? You find it tough to wake up in the morning...not like us, when you wake up really early easily and think, man, you are dead."

(when trying to illustrate the ineffectiveness of case studies as a scientific method)
"Can you imagine if physics had used case studies as a scientific method?" He imitates a scientist holding a stone. "Yeah, this is a stone. Oh look, that is a stone too! This stone falls. The other stone does too! And THERE is another stone!"

And the thing is that, he tells all these without giving as much of a giggle. And there would be intervals when he has had too much of himself, and he would burst out laughing, holding the podium to support himself. An interesting character, huh?

I must admit that I am understanding more in class, yet fearing more to speak out. My German seems to get worse with each coming day...ironic huh? There are even times when I break out in English. Terrible.


On a brighter note, I went to Ruth's place to celebrate the end of her zwischenprüfung recently. V V nice=) I love visits to her place, she makes you feel totally at home. Though I must admit that I feel kinda guilty letting her cook and wash and all=( Ruth, if you are reading this, must come visit Konstanz and let me do the washing and cooking yah? =)



Rachel, Sam, Yuhan, Me (I look the coldest huh?)



That's Ruth in the centre of the pic. Rachel, Ruth, Yuhan (from left to right)

Right, I have got 110 pages of political readings (in german!) to get through by end of this weekend. Not including extra readings we have to do to revise what we have 'learnt'. Frankly I feel that I know too little, that's why the learning is coming rather slowly for me. Bleah. Oh yeah, to illustrate how little I know about German Politics, when Münterfering stepped down suddenly as party head, I didn't even know what significance that had. (?!) But I must admit that they solved the crisis rather quickly (this means they worked on All Saints' Day! Gasp!)

Oops. Not that I don't have much faith in the Bürokratie, but the thing is that things always run so slowly for me. It seems to be just ME. My classmates don't have that problem, never.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wah, you are an early bird hor!
wake up early to post your thing on blog, hv you eated the very very first worm. the unlucky worm?
guess who am I?