Monday, July 11, 2005

The Singapore Workout and more

YF and I went for the brisk walk on Sunday, as part of the PDC.

The entire adventure (for me) started way early in the morning. We were supposed to meet in this block in Marsiling at seven in the morning. I was in this half-conscious state of mind, and missed the bus stop I was supposed to stop at, thus was ferried to Woodlands Checkpoint. Upon reaching there, there seemed to be no way to get back to where I wanted to go to, or that was what it appeared to be to my groggy mind then. So I thought in horror, does this mean that I would have to go to Malaysia to come back to Singapore? Darn I left my passport at home! (?!) Unbelievable, isn't it, how foolish I was. Fortunately a policeman gave me directions to get back=D

Well, back to the brisk walk. I must say that it was a very very different experience...it was the first time since 10 years ago that I have done the Singapore Workout, and it was really, really hilarious. We did this hand-wringing cum knee-bending exercise, which reminded me of the exercises my grandma does. Wring your hands to the left, wring your hands to the right, wring your hands in the centre...mind you, they were truly effective ways of warming up in the morning, but I started laughing so hard I couldn't wring my hands properly=) After that, everyone just walked for a rather short distance around the estate. The aunties, their children and the elderly were the main supporters of the Brisk Walk, and some of them were really very enthusiastic. I liked the feeling of walking together with them...it gives you this sense of community, and you feel kind of fit, even without doing much.

We had an MPS today with Dr Teo. I thought he handled some difficult cases very well, and it seems like he really takes time to talk to the people, even some unreasonable ones. I was impressed by his superb PR skills, truly. He wanted to understand them well too, even volunteering to go down to assess the ground level situation at some stall competition conflict. That truly shows some commitment. Throughout the session, I just thought how truly the board behind him reflected his character: Jing4 Ye4 Le4 Qun2.

Things to do: Learn Malay, Cultivate infinite patience, Be firm, Stand behind your teammates no matter what, and most importantly, have a Heart for the People. They count on you.

ting

No comments: